I don’t usually get out birding much in the week before Christmas, and this year it was even less. But a few quick stops, dog-walks, and incidental observations produced only the following observation of note over the past seven days.
- 1 GRAY CATBIRD, Saco Riverwalk, 12/20.
This Week in Finches:
Although my birding was limited, the dearth of finches was noteworthy. Has the flight passed us by? Did the largest volume of redpolls simply move southward to the west of us? Are there more in the pipeline, or will we have a rather quiet January and February?
- EVENING GROSBEAK: 1 (Old Town House Park, North Yarmouth, 12/21).
- Red Crossbill: 0
- WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL: 0
- PINE GROSBEAK: up to 10 daily (in and around the yard here at the store all week).
- Purple Finch: 0
- Common Redpoll: 0
- Pine Siskin High Count This Week: 3 (Merrill Road Ext, Freeport, 12/19).