Starting the day with Evening Grosbeaks at our home feeders and enjoying Pine Grosbeaks everytime we carry seed out to someone’s car really isn’t too shabby.
My observations of note over the past seven days included the following:
- Unusually large number of Red-throated Loons in the northwest corner of Casco Bay all week.
- 1 BOHEMIAN WAXWING and 1 Savannah Sparrow, Wolfe’s Neck Center, Freeport, 12/13.
- 1 RING-NECKED DUCK with about 450 mixed Lesser and Greater Scaup with about 1,000 White-winged Scoters, Wharton Point, Brunswick, 12/14.
- 425+ mixed Lesser and Greater Scaup, Simpson’s Point, Brunswick, 12/14.
- 1 Hermit Thrush, Harraseeket Yacht Club, Freeport, 12/18.
This Week in Finches:
- EVENING GROSBEAK: 12 (flying over our yard in Pownal, 12/13); 2 (Verrill Road, Pownal, 12/13); after a several day absence, up to 4 were in our Pownal yard on 12/15; 1 (Verrill Road, 12/17).
- Red Crossbills: 1 (Wolfe’s Neck Center, Freeport, 12/14); 4 (Cumberland Town Forest, 12/16);
- WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL: 0
- PINE GROSBEAK: 6-10 daily (in and around the yard here at the store all week); 4 (Rte 1, Brunswick, 12/14); 10 (Cumberland Town Landing, 12/16); 4 (Rte 88, Cumberland, 12/16).
- Purple Finch: 0
- Common Redpoll: 5 (Cumberland Town Landing, 12/16).
- Pine Siskin High Count This Week: 2 (Cumberland Town Landing, 12/16).