My highlights over the past seven days included the following:
- 5 Fox Sparrows continue in our yard in Pownal.
- 7 SANDHILL CRANES (FOY), Bradbury Mountain Spring Hawkwatch, 3/27.
- 2 Pine Siskins (FOS), feeders here at the store, 3/27 – present.
- 5 RUDDY DUCKS (FOY) and 1 first-cycle Iceland Gull, Sabattus Pond, Sabattus, 3/28.
- 1 Eastern Phoebe (FOY), Sebago Lake State Park, 3/29 (with Jeannette).
- 8 EVENING GROSBEAKS (FOS), our yard in Pownal, 4/2.
- 3 Red Crossbills, feeding in the yard here at the store, 4/2.
Wanted to let you know my wife and I spotted sand hill cranes possibly nesting in a pond at the corner of route 11 and 85 in Casco.
They are definitely expanding in Maine, so this would be a great addition to the known nesting pairs. If you are able to get a photo, you will definitely want to send it to ME Inland Fish & Wildlife.